Board Member Duties
Updated Thursday December 13, 2018 by Citrus Park Sports Association.
CPSA is a nonprofit organization that relies entirely on volunteers. Without the dedication and commitment of our volunteers and board members CPSA would not exist.
If you would like to become involved and make a difference at CPSA we encourage you to volunteer to become a member of the Board of Directors.
Notifications will be posted and interested parties should request to be added to the ballot. We cannot take nominations from others, you must nominate yourself so that we know you can make the necessary commitment.
Elections are held annually in September and the new board is appointed in October.
Besides duties specific to each position, all board members should plan on attending monthly meetings and put in volunteer time during our events (Opening day, player skills evaluations, park clean-up, clinics etc.). All board members will be subject to a background check.
- Board Members will be expected to attend at least 8 of 10 monthly meetings each year. No more than two consecutive meetings can be missed or you will be removed from the board (unless previously approved by a quorum of the board).
- Board Members will be required to serve as ‘Board Member on Duty’ as needed. No more than two consecutive assignments can be missed or you will be removed from the board (unless previously approved by a quorum of the board).
- Background checks and Volunteer Training are required for all Board Members. CPR and concussion training are highly encouraged.
- Board Members will be provided with access to an online repository to store their required documents, forms, etc.
President (Executive board)
- Oversees the affairs of all elements of the league.
- As chief administrator, selects and appoints all Managers, Coaches, umpires and committees (subject to the approval of the Board).
- Officer with whom affiliated league maintains contact.
- Represents the league in the District organization. This includes attendance at all district Meetings, etc.
- Strives to have firsthand knowledge of the regulations under which the league operates.
- Authorizes the annual application for charter, and binds all members of the league to faithfully observe the regulations.
- Takes an active role in gaining support and winning friends for the league program.
- Presides at all league meetings, and assumes full responsibility for the operation of the league.
- Receives all mail, supplies and other communications from the affiliated league Headquarters, and the District.
Vice President (Executive board)
- Responsible for the coordination of all activities relating baseball/softball year round.
- Coordinates efforts of other board members in relation to baseball/softball.
- Carries out such duties and assignments as may be delegated by the President.
- Oversee and coordinate all scheduling with other board members, including but not limited to yearly calendar, opening day and scheduling of fields for all non-league uses.
- Oversee and coordinate with the league Information Officer all league publicity campaigns, including but not limited to announcements, registration, clinics, seminars, articles, etc.
- Oversee all long-term development and planning.
- Prepares and presents a list of all baseball/softball Managers for Board approval and President’s selection.
- Oversees all baseball/softball Manager/Coach activities.
- Coordinates all Manager’s Meetings.
- Responsible for monitoring and evaluating the development and progress of all Managers and Coaches in the league.
- Coordinates with Player Agents and Managers to conduct a team parent meeting prior to opening day to ensure parent and player expectations are set for the season.
- Coordinates with and assists the Player Agents in conducting all drafts and/or selection of all baseball/softball teams.
- Coordinates with the Safety Officer and Field Maintenance Supervisor in making sure that all safety and field maintenance issues are addressed.
- Coordinates with the Player Agents to ensure that all Managers, Coaches and players at all levels are receiving proper instruction.
- Coordinates with the Safety Officer and Managers in executing all league rules and in developing and executing all local rules.
- Assists the Special Events Coordinator in overseeing all Post-season tournaments hosted by CPSA, both sanctioned and non-sanctioned.
- Coordinates all fall league activities with Player Agents.
- Involved in the District planning of the District league schedules for all baseball.
- Acts as Tournament Director for all post-season tournaments hosted by CPSA, both sanctioned and non-sanctioned.
- Coordinates with Player Agents to schedule, conduct and monitor all clinics, seminars, or other development affairs for players.
- Primary contact with High School Varsity/Junior Varsity and Middle School Coaches. Works with school Coaches to tailor all development programs to act as a feeder programs to the schools.
Secretary/Registrar (Executive board)
- Maintains a register of members of the board and of the league.
- Records the minutes of meetings.
- Provides attendance roster for each board meeting.
- Responsible for sending out notice of meetings (coordinated with Executive Board Members).
- Maintains a record of league’s activities, including board meeting minutes, agendas, and attendance rosters.
- Manages the online registration process.
- Assigns online administrative rights to board members as required.
- Responsible for eligibility of all players. (birth records, address verification, etc.)
Treasurer (Executive board)
- Signs checks as directed by league constitution.
- Dispenses league funds as approved by Board.
- Reports on status of league funds.
- Keeps league books and financial records.
- Assumes responsibility for all league finances.
- Prepares and submits league tax returns, etc.
- Prepares budgets (and coordinates with each board member regarding use of their respective budget line item(s)).
- Provides statement of all accounts, summarizing spending by budget category for board review and approval.
Governance Chairman (Exective Board)
- The Governance Chanirman shall focus on core goverance issues
- Board composition and effectiveness, and legal and ethical conduct
- Ensure the bylaws and other governing documents of the organization are in place and kept up to date and that CPSA has conflist of interest, whistleblower protection, and other eithical policies and processes in place.
- Maximize board effectiveness, and periodically assess the selection criteria, recruitment, and evaluation of directors: the appropirateness of Board size, leadership, composition, and committee structure, and the frequency and structure of Board meetings.
Head Player Agent (Baseball and Softball)
- In coordination with Vice President:
- Conducts annual tryouts.
- Responsible for player selection (conducts all drafts, coordinates scheduling of drafts with VP).
- Coordinates with the VP’s and Information Officer to assign players, Coaches and team parents to their teams.
- Coordinates with the VP’s and Information Officer to schedule practice times and game times for all seasons.
- Provide Information Officer and Equipment Coordinator team information as it relates to uniform and equipment needs.
- Supervises and coordinates the transfer of players between leagues, either up or down in age.
- Assume responsibility of prime coordinator of all player affairs, including but not limited to: sponsorship/player issues, financial or other family issues (including all issues of a delicate nature that need not be made public), etc.
- Attend all Manager Meetings.
- Note: Player Agents may be selected to oversee individual divisions within the league.
- Coordinates all safety activities.
- Responsible for monitoring and ensuring all Managers and Coaches enforce that all players are properly equipped for safety per league guidelines.
- Ensures safety in player training in coordination with Player Agents and Managers.
- Ensures safe playing conditions.
- Coordinates reporting and prevention of injuries.
- Maintains and distributes safety guides as needed.
- Solicits suggestions for making conditions safer.
- Responsible for conducting and coordinating all background checks for Managers and Coaches.
- Responsible for electronically verifying that all Coaching certificates, concussion training and CPR certificates of Managers and Coaches meet league guidelines.
- Institute an appropriate Time Schedule/Plan for addressing all critical safety issues identified and coordinating with the Treasurer, and VPs to ensure that all safety issues are budgeted for and resolved in a timely manner.
- Coordinates production of all required county documentation as it relates to life safety issues.
- Responsible for ‘Board Member on Duty’ coordination.
- Attend all Managers Meetings.
- Obtain, update and maintain First Aid Kits and defibrillators throughout the Park.
- Responsible for maintaining the league Lightning Detector.
- Maintain Safety budget as authorized by the board.
- Manages the leagues official website.
- Ensures that league news and scores are updated on a regular basis.
- Collects, posts and distributes important information on league activities to district, public, league members and media (via bulletin board, email, social media, etc.)
- Responsible for the updating all phone service messages and information.
- Responsible for answering or forwarding general information email and telephone messages.
- Maintains Information Technology budget as authorized by the board.
Field Maintenance Supervisor
- Responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of all fields.
- Coordinates with the VPs to schedule spring cleanup, fall cleanup and any other workdays that may be necessary.
- Negotiates outsource maintenance agreements and contracts.
- Coordinates with Treasurer to make sure contracts are kept up to date and all invoices paid.
- Coordinates with the Safety Officer, Treasurer and county to address all critical safety issues identified in a timely manner and in accordance with the Time Schedule/Plan issued by the Safety Officer.
- Coordinates with the Sponsorship Coordinator to hang banners/signs as needed through the park.
- Maintains a complete electronic inventory of all field equipment that is made available to board members.
- Maintains Field Maintenance budget as authorized by the board.
- Responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of all player equipment.
- Prepares all equipment bags for distribution each new season.
- Coordinates with the Player Agents to ensure that all equipment bags are distributed to Managers prior to draft day for each league.
- Coordinates with the Player Agents and Managers to receive all equipment bags back from the Managers at the end of the season (or the end of all-star season or fall league).
- Maintains an electronic inventory of all equipment in each bag to ensure that all equipment is returned and that equipment which has exceeded its life expectancy is replaced (this list must be made available to board members).
- Inspects all equipment, removed damaged, worn, or unsafe equipment, and replaces with new equipment.
- Orders all new equipment as approved by the board.
- Maintains inventory of reserve equipment.
- Verify with President what the County and/or league required patches and/or logos are needed on uniforms.
- Responsible for ordering and distributing all uniforms for players and Managers, including the regular season, all-stars and other post-season teams in coordination with the Sponsorship Coordinator.
- Maintains Player Equipment budget as authorized by the board.
Umpire Scheduling Coordinator
- Responsible for the hiring, training, and scheduling of all umpires for baseball and softball.
- Coordinates with the VP’s and Player Agents to prepare all umpire work schedules.
- Responsible for distributing to Managers and Coaches all park rules and regulations.
- Provide league rules and training to Coaches as needed.
- Ensure all player equipment is in compliance.
- Maintains Umpire budget as authorized by the board.
Special Events Coordinator
- Responsible for coordinating, planning, and directing all of the opening day events.
- Responsible for coordinating, planning, and directing all team picture taking.
- Responsible for coordinating, planning, and directing all community events These events shall be coordinated with the Sponsorship Coordinator.
- Coordinates with the Treasurer to ensure that all contracts kept up to date and all invoices paid.
- Maintains Special Events budget as authorized by the board.
- Responsible for coordinating all sponsorship activities, including but not limited to: in-season team uniforms, scoreboard signs, concession stand signs, restroom signs, post-season teams, post-season tournaments.
- Responsible for ordering all banners and coordinate with Treasurer to make sure that all banner vendors are paid.
- Coordinates with the Field Maintenance Supervisor to make sure correct sponsorship signs are placed on buildings, scoreboards, etc. throughout the park.
- Provides the Information Officer with an electronic database of all sponsorship information for the league website.
- Coordinates with the Treasurer to make sure that all sponsorships are paid.
- Assists the Special Events Coordinator in coordinating, planning, and directing all community events.
- Responsible for the coordinating, planning and directing of all fundraising activities.
- Coordinates with the Treasurer to make sure that all fundraising monies are secured.
- Coordinates with all other board members and Managers on all fundraising activities.
- Coordinates with Equipment Coordinator on ordering all uniforms for players and Managers to ensure correct team colors and sponsorship logos are used.
- Coordinates with the Special Events Coordinator to schedule and communicate all team photography activities with team parents.